Today we are releasing ActiveCollab 5.0.78 to our self-hosted customers. This release is important because it no longer depends on Heartbeat. Instead, it uses a job queue similar to the one that Heartbeat implemented, only now that queue is part of ActiveCollab itself.
We are making the switch for three reasons:
- After a month of beta testing with real users, it proved really hard to make a reliable connection between Heartbeat and ActiveCollab instances that were running on all sorts of networks and PHP setups. This caused a lot of problems for beta testers.
- Troubles caused by connection instability between ActiveCollab and Heartbeat lead to really bad user experience. Not only it didn't work, but you couldn’t do much about it. So the new job queue puts control back in your hands.
- We know job queue works well. ActiveCollab 3 and 4 used one for outgoing mail for years.
The new jobs currently cover:
- Outgoing email - you specify an SMTP server connection parameters in the System Settings, and ActiveCollab will then use that server to send out the mail.
- Search indexing - search is powered by ElasticSearch, so you will need it (plus the Attachments Mapper) if you want to use the search.
- Morning mail - is prepared and sent at 7 AM by an hourly Cron Job,
- Various maintenance tasks - are performed at 4 AM by an hourly Cron Job.
Features that the jobs currently don’t cover, but they will in the future, are: auto-upgrade and inbound mail (so ActiveCollab can create new tasks and comments from messages that you send to it). We wanted to get the new beta out of the door as soon as possible, so we had to leave those features for the next sprint.
If you're new to ActiveCollab 5, we encourage you to try it.
If you already have ActiveCollab 5.0.49 installed (previous v5 beta build), instructions are a bit different:
- Go to my.activecollab.com and click on Licenses option. There you can download ActiveCollab 5.0.78.
- Unpack the ZIP archive.
- Upload `/activecollab/5.0.78` from the package to `/activecollab/5.0.78` folder of your current ActiveCollab 5 installation. Don’t delete `/activecollab/5.0.49` from your server just yet, we still need it.
- Empty `/tasks` folder on your server and upload all the new files from `/tasks` folder of the ActiveCollab 5.0.78 installation package. We’ll need all of these files, including `activecollab-cli.php`, as well as all three cron jobs that are in `/tasks/cron_jobs` folder.
- Overwrite `/activecollab/5.0.49/angie/src/Angie/Command/UpgradeCommand.php` file with the same file from the new package,
- Using your terminal, `cd` to `/tasks` folder on your server and run: `php activecollab-cli.php upgrade`. This command will run all the required database migrations and upgrade your `/config/version.php` file.
- Delete everything inside `/compile` and `/cache` folders (delete everything except `.htaccess` file if you have it).
- Log in and go to System Settings and under Technical Settings configure outgoing mail, search, and Cron jobs.
That's it. If you notice any problems or need our help, do get in touch at email@example.com